Monday, February 21, 2011

Kickin' Off Oscar Week

Anne Hathaway and James Franco are two people that never cease to bring a smile to my face. They both have a goofy demeanor that I adore immensely. One cannot help but fall in love with characters they have portrayed in the past, such as Anne Hathaway’s Mia Thermopolis in The Princess Diaries or James Frano’s portrayal of Saul Silver in Pineapple Express. The beauty of these two is that they have been in such films as The Princess Diaries and Pineapple Express, and yet they have both been nominated for Oscars as well. They are truly versatile actors.


 That is why I was over the moon with excitement when I heard they would both be hosting the Academy Awards this year. I thought Hugh Jackman did an excellent job as the host back in 2009, but Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin (both people I admire comically) did a lackluster job with the hosting duties last year. The commercial with Anne and James as “Oscar Hosts In-Training” is hysterical and play to their strengths to a tee. They are both great at physical comedy, as well as drama and if you missed Anne’s cameo in Hugh Jackman’s opening number at the Oscars two years ago, check it out because that girl can sing. And, I’m pretty sure there is nothing James Franco can’t do. I hope they bring all these elements to their hosting duties at the Oscars.


My only concern is that they are trying too hard to appeal to a younger audience. While I would love for the Oscars to be brought to life with some youth and fun, I still want the glamour and prestige that comes with the Academy Awards, and hope it is not lost in an attempt the draw a larger audience to the show. However, I have complete faith that Anne Hathaway and James Franco will do the show justice. I cannot wait to see what they have in store! 


Are YOU excited for this year's Oscars? 

Come back tomorrow for Actually, It's Ashleigh's first guest blogger! 

No comments:

Post a Comment