Thursday, May 31, 2012

Bringing Ballet Back



Has anyone else noticed ballet making a not so subtle entrance into pop culture these days? Flipping through the pages of a magazine, I noticed an ad for an ABC Family show entitled “Bunheads” … I wish I were joking. As much as I love ballet, I don’t know how long this show will last. Seriously... you couldn’t have named it anything else… BUNHEADS?!  



There is also going to be a show called “Breaking Pointe” on The CW, which starts tonight at 8. I may actually tune into this one to see how it goes. It’s definitely a better title than bunheads, yet the tagline makes me slightly cringe- “BLOOD SWEAT AND TUTUS.” Come on guys, seriously? Don’t you get paid to be extremely creative?



Last night I watched the newly released video for Florence and the Machine’s new single, Spectrum and sure enough, she was surrounded by ballerinas. You can give the video a watch here: 



While the anorexic girl who I guess is supposed to represent Florence on pointe is beyond freaky, I do like the rest of the video. I just love me some ballet. It’s beautiful. So much blood, sweat, tears, rejection and practice practice practice goes into ballet. They make it look so effortless and beautiful, but behind the scenes it is nothing but hard work and determination. That’s why I am OK with ballet making it’s way into pop culture. As long as it’s heavy on the actual ballet and light on the background drama, I’m game. Now, who can I file a complaint with about the title, “Bunheads?”

No comments:

Post a Comment